Booking.com is looking for a Senior Java Software Developer to join our Technology Department at our Amsterdam headquarters to play a pivotal role in helping us to shape our Java ecosystem.
We are one of the biggest e-commerce companies in the world. To create the ultimate travel experience, we build and improve great products for both travelers and the accommodation partners.
Our Technology Department is more than 100 teams of four to six people each. We operate on a scrum-based agile development methodology, we are data-driven and do extensive A/B testing on both user and partner facing platforms.
We deploy code multiple times per day on tens of thousands of servers across multiple data centers around the world, we have freedom, end-to-end access, and authority to make meaningful and measurable improvements empowering millions of people to experience the world.
- 50% coding, 50% working with developers as a technical leader
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on
- Focus on moving the business forward, be pragmatic about technology choices
- Always keep the customer at the center of everything you do Have a keen interest on the business, not just any given technical problem
- Lead initiatives for improvement of development processes and business opportunities for your team’s product and the company as a whole by impacting multiple products across the business.
- Identify, foster, and proactively help colleagues to grow professionally, taking a significant role in onboarding new team members
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing or other recruitment efforts
- Represent Booking.com values, both in the company and in the external community Advocate a collaborative working environment – make “my ideas” into “our ideas”
- Lead, manage and resolve technical or design discussions or conflicts
What we expect from you, What you can expect from us
- 7+ years of experience as a software developer
- Thought leader (leader in the field of own expertise)
- Strong and demonstrable programming skill, using 2+ server- side programming languages
- 1+ years of experience mentoring, coaching and training newer and less experienced team members
- Excellent communication, influencing, and stakeholder management
- Experience working on products that impact large numbers of customers
- Experience with distributed systems
- Ability to drive technical, business and people related initiatives that improve productivity, performance and quality
- Proven ability and willingness to continue learning
- Self-starter, self-motivated, collaborative, with “can do” attitude
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world renowned product and seeing real time impact of your work on millions of travelers worldwide
- Working in a fast paced and performance driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioral and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
This position is open to worldwide candidates and, in the case of relocation, we will assist you with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam.
We have successfully relocated 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year!
Send an email with your CV to email@example.com